Wednesday, October 31, 2007

If I'd known

Had I known this before we had a baby I would have kept my eye on all new parents I saw in a restaurant as it would surely have provided some entertainment. What I've realized is that when we go out now we usually arrive at the restaurant with our little one fast asleep in the car carrier and it becomes a game on anxious relaxation. If you were to watch us, we sit down and act as though we're totally fine and there isn't a ticking time bomb next to us. We order and have some nice conversation and maybe the salad arrives which we both eat together. Then a leg moves in the car carrier. Is she waking up? Oh no..the food isn't here yet...will she be happy or does she need to eat? Is it feeding time? Is there a changing table in the bathroom? Our eyes dart around in search of the waiter. Mom dares to peek under the canopy and sighs at the sight of two huge blue eyes staring back at her. From here you will watch two parents begin a dance of how they can get all three of them fed and out of the restaurant as fast as possible. Sure there are times when the baby wakes up happy but the other times must be so much more fun to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She looks so cute in her blue jeans!