Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day Care!

I remember so many times friends or co-workers came to the end of a day and said "I have to go pick up my kid from daycare" and I never thought much of it until today. It was only a test run, a few hours of agony, but I dropped our little angel off at day care for the first time and left her there. Alone. Without us. How could they know the precise angle she must be held after feeding so she doesn't spit up? How will they know she likes the head, shoulders, knees and toes song sung while pointing at her head, shoulders and so on? So I left...and drove far away...across the parking lot to the Starbucks where I could see the daycare and I got a table near the window so I could watch. Oh I did some work and took a conference call but I had my eyes pegged across the parking lot. Two seemingly endless hours later I told a co-worker I had to get off the phone. "I have to go pick up my kid up from day care" I said proudly. And to my surprise she was happy and fed and changed and seemed quite content her first time away from family. It's still going to take some time, so in addition to the checks I'll be depositing in the slot of the day care lobby desk, I'll be depositing a few checks at that Starbucks too ::)

No comments: