We think we're still young dogs and we are definitely learning lots of new tricks. Have you ever opened a jar with one hand? It's hard enough with two. Ridden an exercise bike while holding an infant for 30 minutes because she's fussing? I can do that now. Typing with one hand? I'm an expert. The simple act of getting coffee ready in the morning has become a feat I am proud to accomplish. But perhaps all our new skills will be put on hold for a while as Maggie discovered the wonders of an 8 foot long piece of cloth that some moms have branded and sell as a "baby wrap". Ingenious. I am constantly amazed at the marketing (and cost) that accompanies baby items. The wrap is $35 while I'm sure an 8 foot piece of cloth is much less. "Baby bags" for wrapping up that smelly diaper on the road? $3 for one roll. The same bags found on the doggie doo doo aisle? $3 for 10 rolls. Though being the good capitalist MBA student that I am, I have to appreciate the simplicity with which these companies snare new parents walking down that aisle in Target for the first time proclaiming "I must have the Eddie Bauer poop bags!"...nothing but the best for our children.
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Week 4 - New Tricks
We think we're still young dogs and we are definitely learning lots of new tricks. Have you ever opened a jar with one hand? It's hard enough with two. Ridden an exercise bike while holding an infant for 30 minutes because she's fussing? I can do that now. Typing with one hand? I'm an expert. The simple act of getting coffee ready in the morning has become a feat I am proud to accomplish. But perhaps all our new skills will be put on hold for a while as Maggie discovered the wonders of an 8 foot long piece of cloth that some moms have branded and sell as a "baby wrap". Ingenious. I am constantly amazed at the marketing (and cost) that accompanies baby items. The wrap is $35 while I'm sure an 8 foot piece of cloth is much less. "Baby bags" for wrapping up that smelly diaper on the road? $3 for one roll. The same bags found on the doggie doo doo aisle? $3 for 10 rolls. Though being the good capitalist MBA student that I am, I have to appreciate the simplicity with which these companies snare new parents walking down that aisle in Target for the first time proclaiming "I must have the Eddie Bauer poop bags!"...nothing but the best for our children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Darn marketers! All about the dollar! But seriously, what a feat to wrap up that "baby wrap" like you did. You barely master the "baby burrito" and you're on to a new challenge. I guess that is just another lesson that Sydney will teach you!
Love the picture and know the frustrations of the wrap! I paid more for less material with the "baby carrier" but it was worth it once I got the hang of it. It looked like a purse and I carrier Madelyn everywhere in it. People gave me some pretty funny looks at the store but I was excited to have two free hands so I didn't care! Can't wait to meet Sydney!
Post a Comment