Thursday, October 23, 2008

Octoberfest

Some cooler temps and the smell of hot cider in the air called us recently to the pumpkin farm where unlike last year, Sydney is old enough to actually play with a pumpkin. It was a fantastic day of slides and goats and pumpkins bigger than Sydney. We brought home apples and little freebie pumpkins which are setup on the front porch for her to admire. A day or so later I had a fun first. I'm sure we've unknowingly taught her things before from observation, but at dinner time she pointed to one of the apples we'd picked up from the farm. I washed it up and took off the stem, a choking hazard of course, and handed her the apple. She sat down and looked at it and didn't know what to do. Do I eat it? Does this outer part need to come off? Is it just a strange looking ball? So I sat down next to her and took the apple and as best I could turned so she could see me and took a slow bite out of the apple. Her eyes grew wide and her hands shot up for the apple, a knowing smile on her face about what she needed to do. She looked up at me and dug into the apple and I just had this big smile on my face. It wasn't algebra or how to drive a car, but I taught my daughter how to eat an apple, and that just made my October.

No comments: